Last updated: September 19, 2026
The PPE report is back, and it isn’t perfectly clean. A horse doesn’t technically pass or fail a PPE—the exam identifies findings that you and your vet have to decide how to interpret. The hard part is deciding whether this one changes the purchase enough that you need more information, different terms, or a different horse.
A PPE finding usually falls into one of three practical buckets: walk away, negotiate, or monitor. The right bucket depends on the finding’s severity, the horse’s history and intended job, likely management needs, and your veterinarian’s interpretation of the individual horse.
Below is the framework I use to think through those decisions after a PPE. It won’t replace your veterinarian’s opinion, but it can help you ask better questions and avoid letting excitement – or fear – make the decision for you.
If you haven’t had the exam yet, start with our full horse pre-purchase exam guide. This article is for the point after the report comes back, when you and your vet need to decide what the findings mean for this particular purchase.
Table of Contents
Why Severity Matters More Than the Finding Itself
Here’s something that surprises many first-time buyers: a finding on a PPE report isn’t unusual. A 2025 study in the Equine Veterinary Journal reviewed 133 pre-purchase examination certificates. In that sample, 76 horses—57.1%—had what the researchers called a prejudicial finding (a finding the examining veterinarian identified as potentially making the horse unsuitable for the buyer’s intended use), with lameness the most common category. That doesn’t mean every finding is serious, but it’s a good reminder that a PPE is about understanding risk, not expecting every horse to have a blank report.
But a finding on the report and a reason to walk away aren’t the same thing. I’ve bought horses with minor issues that turned into family favorites, and I’ve walked away from horses that looked perfect on paper but had one finding I wasn’t willing to take on. The difference comes down to three questions: what does the finding actually mean for this horse’s job, is it likely to stay stable or get worse, and what would it cost you – in money, in time, in limitations – to manage it.
Context changes everything. A mild finding in an older horse headed for light trail riding can be perfectly manageable. The same finding in a young horse you’re hoping to compete with is a different conversation entirely – not because the finding is different, but because what you’re asking the horse to do is.

A Simple Framework: Walk Away, Negotiate, or Monitor
Over three decades of buying, selling, and training horses, I’ve come back to the same rough sorting system. It’s not a formula – every horse and every buyer’s situation is different – but it gives you a starting point for the conversation with your vet.
Walk Away
This is the category for findings your veterinarian believes create an unacceptable risk for the job you want the horse to do—for example, a concern that is likely to progress, limit the horse’s usable career, create a meaningful safety risk, or require more management than you can realistically take on. Sometimes a lower price doesn’t solve the problem because it doesn’t change the horse’s likely limitations or the uncertainty you’d be accepting.
An unexpected positive drug test can be a separate reason to pause or walk away, especially if the seller didn’t disclose medication or treatment that could affect the result. Ask your vet what the result can and can’t tell you, then consider whether the lack of disclosure changes your confidence in the transaction.
I remember looking at a mare priced well under similar horses in her class – lovely mover, well started. The PPE turned up a soft-tissue finding in a hind limb that her vet felt carried real risk for the work I wanted to do. The seller pushed back, said she’d been going fine for months. I walked away anyway. Sometimes the best purchase is the one you don’t make.
Negotiate
This is the category for a finding your veterinarian considers manageable for the horse’s intended job, but one that may involve recurring care, added farriery, a modified workload, more monitoring, or limits on future use. Ask what management is likely and what remains uncertain. Your veterinarian can help you understand the likely management needs; then your farrier, local providers, and budget can help you estimate the real-world cost.
Monitor
This category covers findings your veterinarian doesn’t expect to meaningfully interfere with the job you’re buying the horse to do, such as some age-related changes or evidence of an old injury that appears fully healed. They should still be documented, understood, and monitored as your vet recommends. Whether a minor finding affects the price is a business decision between buyer and seller, but it shouldn’t be confused with a finding that changes the horse’s suitability for the intended job.
| Possible response | What it may look like | Questions to ask before deciding |
|---|---|---|
| Walk away | Your vet believes the finding creates unacceptable risk, likely limitations, safety concerns, or management demands for the horse’s intended job. | Would a lower price change the risk? What important uncertainty would still remain? Does this fit the horse I actually need? |
| Negotiate | The horse may be suitable, but the finding could mean predictable maintenance, added farriery, monitoring, or limits that should affect the purchase decision. | What care is likely? What will I need to budget for? What records or additional testing would reduce uncertainty? |
| Monitor | Your vet doesn’t expect the finding to meaningfully interfere with the horse’s intended use, but recommends that you understand and watch it. | What should I monitor? What change would warrant a recheck? Does this matter for future resale, insurance, or the work I hope to do? |
For condition-specific information, see our guides to horse lameness and navicular disease. This page focuses on the buying decision after a PPE finding, not on diagnosing every possible condition.
How Context Changes the Picture
One of the biggest mistakes I see buyers make is applying the wrong standard for their actual plans. A finding that would end a career at the top level of a demanding discipline might not affect a trail horse’s job at all. Always evaluate a finding against what you genuinely intend to do with the horse – and be honest with yourself about that. If you’re telling yourself you just want a trail horse but you’re secretly hoping to move up to showing, use the more demanding standard when you’re deciding.
A finding in a young horse may carry more uncertainty because the horse has a longer athletic career ahead and less performance history to judge. Before deciding how much weight to give age, review the horse’s work history, medical and farrier records, current exam findings, and the level of work you expect him to do.
Your budget is part of the picture as well. If you’re spending a modest amount on a backyard companion, you may reasonably accept a manageable finding that wouldn’t fit a premium competition prospect. But your budget shouldn’t talk you into accepting a risk you can’t realistically manage. An undisclosed positive drug result, a lack of records, or a seller who won’t allow a diagnostic your veterinarian considers important may be reasons to slow down or walk away, whatever the horse costs.
Negotiating After a Concerning Finding
If a finding lands in the negotiate category, come to the conversation prepared rather than simply disappointed. Ask your vet what the finding may mean for the horse’s intended use, what management is likely, what’s uncertain, and whether additional diagnostics would change the picture. Then research the costs you’d actually face in your area, such as specialty shoeing, follow-up imaging, medication, rehabilitation, or more frequent veterinary care.
That gives you a better basis for discussing price or terms with the seller than asking for a vague discount. It also helps you decide whether a lower price really makes the horse workable for your plans – or simply makes a risky purchase feel easier to justify.
If the purchase terms change because of a PPE finding, put the final agreement in writing. For a high-value purchase or a complicated arrangement involving a trial, deposit, disclosure, or return terms, talk with an equine attorney in your state.
From experience: I once looked at an older gelding with a finding that meant ongoing shoeing costs. I told the seller plainly what my vet estimated that would run me annually, and we settled on a price that reflected it. That horse gave me several solid years of work – the price just matched what I was actually taking on.
When to Get a Second Opinion
A second opinion can be worth the cost when a finding may change your decision, when the initial veterinarian is uncertain about its significance, or when different veterinarians interpret the same imaging differently. Ask the first veterinarian what specific question a second opinion would answer and whether consultation with a veterinarian who has expertise in that body system would be useful. For the clearest buyer-side advice, choose a veterinarian you retain for your own purchase decision and make sure they know the horse’s intended job.
FAQs About Horse PPE Findings
Can I negotiate the price after a PPE finds a problem?
Often, yes, if the finding doesn’t make the horse unsuitable for the job you want him to do. First ask what the result may mean for use, management, and uncertainty. Then research the likely costs in your area and decide whether a lower price actually makes the horse a sensible fit for your budget.
How much should a PPE finding reduce the purchase price?
There’s no universal percentage. The value impact depends on the finding, the horse’s intended use, age, performance record, likely management, availability of records, insurance implications, and the local market. Use the veterinary discussion to understand the risk, then decide what that risk is worth to you rather than relying on an online formula.
Can I buy a horse with a PPE finding if I have insurance?
Possibly, but don’t assume insurance will make the risk disappear. A pre-existing finding may affect eligibility, exclusions, premiums, coverage limits, or future claims. If insurance matters to your decision, speak with the insurer or agent before you finalize the purchase and make sure you understand the policy in writing.
What if the seller refuses reasonable diagnostics?
You can decide not to proceed. A seller may have reasons for limiting testing, but you’re not required to buy a horse without the information you and your veterinarian believe you need. If radiographs, a drug screen, endoscopy, or another diagnostic is important to your buying decision and the seller won’t allow it, consider whether you’re comfortable accepting that uncertainty – or whether it’s better to keep looking.
Are PPE findings in young horses more concerning than in older horses?
Not automatically. A young horse may have less work history and more years ahead for a progressive condition to affect his career. An older horse may give you more history to review, but may also have age-related wear, a maintenance record, or fewer remaining years for the job you want him to do. Consider the individual horse’s records, current findings, intended use, and likely workload rather than age alone.
What if veterinarians disagree about a PPE finding?
Ask what specifically they disagree about: the diagnosis, severity, likely progression, the meaning of an image, or the finding’s importance for the intended job. If that disagreement could change your purchase decision, seek another opinion from a veterinarian you retain for your own decision, ideally one with relevant expertise and no relationship that makes any party uncomfortable. Make sure the second veterinarian receives the original report, records, and diagnostic images.
A PPE finding doesn’t automatically make a horse a bad purchase. It tells you where to slow down and ask better questions. The goal isn’t to find a perfect horse; it’s to understand what you’re buying, what you may need to manage, and whether that reality fits the job, budget, and risk level you can honestly live with. If the answer is no, walking away isn’t a failure – it’s part of buying wisely.
Important: This is a buyer’s decision framework, not veterinary advice. Use your own veterinarian’s report and recommendations to evaluate the individual horse.

About Miles Henry
Racehorse Owner & Author | 30+ Years in Thoroughbred Racing
Miles Henry (legal name: William Bradley) is a professional horseman based in Folsom, Louisiana. He holds Louisiana Racing License #67012 and has spent over three decades managing Thoroughbreds at premier tracks including Fair Grounds, Delta Downs, and Evangeline Downs.
Expertise & Hands-On Experience: Beyond the track, Miles has decades of experience in specialized equine care, covering everything from hoof health and nutrition to training protocols for Quarter Horses, Friesians, and Paints. Every guide on Horse Racing Sense is rooted in this “boots-on-the-ground” perspective.
30 of their last 90 starts
Equibase Profile.
Connect with Miles:

