Any links on this page that lead to products on Amazon are affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Thanks in advance – I really appreciate it!
Cowboy Boots are an excellent option for both boys and girls. They come in different colors, styles, and sizes, so there’s something out there for every kid. What makes them such a great choice is how easy they are to take care of – no matter what the weather conditions are outside.
|Top||Roper Boy's American Patriot Western Boot, Brown,||Prime||Learn More|
|Top||Deer Stags Unisex-Kid's Ranch Pull On Western Cowboy Fashion Comfort Boot, Dark Brown,||Prime||Learn More|
|Top||Smoky Mountain Boots | Jesse Series | Youth Western Boot | Square Toe Leather | Rubber Sole & Block Heel||Prime||Learn More|
|Top||Roper girls Square Toe Glitter Floral - K boots, Turquoise,||Prime||Learn More|
|Top||Roper unisex American Patriot Western Boot, Brown,||Prime||Learn More|
|Canyon Trails Kids' Lil Cowboy Pointed Toe Classic Western Rodeo Boots (Toddler/Little Kid)||Prime||Learn More|
|Ariat Kid's Fatbaby Collection Boot, Powder Brown/Western Brown, Unisex||Prime||Learn More|
These days, there is plenty of variety in cowboy boots for kids, and if you don’t know exactly what you want, things can get pretty confusing. That’s why it is a good idea to consider the purpose of the boots.
Do you or your child plan to wear the boots working around the house, to horse shows, or just as a fancy addition to their wardrobe?
Kids cowboy boots, like adult boots into two categories: fashion and function. The former helps you make a style statement, whereas the latter may be more comfortable and durable for horseback riding and everyday wear.
With that out of the way, let us discuss some of the best cowboy boots for kids available in the market today. We will also cover the following topics:
- Main differences between girls and boys cowboy boots.
- Are cowboy boots good for kids?
- Best Kids cowboy boots
- Best girl cowboy boots
- Best boy cowboy boots
- Best toddler cowboy boots with zippers.
Is there a difference between girls’ and boys’ cowboy boots?
It’s a question that many parents wonder, is there a difference between girls’ and boys’ cowboy boots? Some believe that the answer is yes, while others think that there are no distinctions. So what’s the answer?
There are several differences between cowboy boots and cowgirl boots. The differences can be seen in their color, style, shaft, and toe shape.
Color is the most apparent difference between girls’ and boys’ cowboy boots. Most cowboy boots for girls have pink color shafts or pink accents. Some might have other feminine colors or brighter colors like orange, turquoise, lavender, etc.
Boy cowboy boots, on the other hand, tend to have darker, masculine colors. They are certainly not as colorful as girls’ boots.
You also get unisex boots with neutral colors like tan, chestnut, brown, black, grey, and other earthy neutral shades.
Style and patterns
Boys’ cowboy boots have wilder patterns, fewer textures and typically display masculine and distressed styles. Girls’ boots tend to have floral designs, glitter, stars, lace, ruffles, etc.
Shaft and vamp
Girly cowboy boots have shafts that tend to be embellished with floral motifs, embroidery and, in general, have a more feminine look. Boys’ boots will also have embroidery, but they will generally be less fussy, more masculine, and comprise simple patterns like crosses, leaves, wings, etc.
Another difference between girls’ and boys’ cowboy boots is their toe shapes: For males, either square or round toes work well, whereas girls seem to like pointy, snip, or square-toed styles depending on which one suits her best—most often pointed toe because girls love the stylish look.
Are Cowboy Boots Good for Kids to Wear?
Some believe cowboy boots are bad for the feet, back, and knees, but I don’t see it this way, and there isn’t any evidence to prove they are harmful. I explained this in detail in an earlier article.
Cowboy boots for kids can be functional, comfortable, and also fashionable. Children can wear them for riding lessons, playing, and going to school. They are a perfect addition to Halloween costumes and can be worn with shorts, skirts, pants, jeans, etc.
High-quality kid’s cowboy boots protect their feet, don’t have laces, and are ideal for riding.
Cowboy boots protect kids’ feet.
Most kid’s cowboy boots are made from durable leather that protects against snake bites; plus, the boots help protect your child’s legs from thorns and other sharp objects when riding in through brush. The taller shaft keeps their legs warm in winters, and leather cowboy boots also protect their feet from getting wet walking in snow or mud.
Cowboy boots don’t have laces.
My grandkids always struggled with laces when they were younger, and I believe most young kids do. The lack of laces makes the cowboy boot style easier to wear and prevents mishaps like laces from getting caught in the stirrups. You can always go for boots with zippers instead of laces if you’re worried about too snug of a fit.
Ideal for riding.
Horse riding is fun, and most kids love it, but it can also be dangerous, so always ensure they wear the proper clothing and protective equipment. Cowboy boots come with sizable heels, which keep your child’s foot from slipping through their stirrup when riding. I wrote articles on riding helmets and protective vests you may find helpful.
Wearing boots can make all the difference while riding your horse. They ensure that you maintain proper leg position, which is crucial for communicating with and being comfortable in a saddle during long rides.
In addition, the heel of a cowboy boot provides a raised platform that helps eliminate pressure from the Achilles’ tendons and preventing foot pain. With the benefits of kids’ cowboy boots out of the way, let us move on to the best cowboy boots for kids, boys, girls, and toddlers.
Best Kids Cowboy Boots
If your kids love wearing cowboy boots half as much as ours, then they’ll love these. They are stylish, comfortable, and, most importantly, durable.
Best Cowboy Boots for Boys: ROPER Patriot Child Cowboy Boots.
ROPER boots are classics, and the brand has been around since 1948. These patriotic boots come in attractive colors of the national flag and can be worn with different attires for horse riding, Christmas, or Halloween. They are comfortable and durable, and a top retail website has even voted them No.54th in their Best Boy’s Boots category.
- Physical attributes – The boots are made with faux leather and rubber sole. Their shaft features the American flag, and the pull-on lace-free construction is ideal for easy-on/easy-off wearing. The inside is lined with a padded sock for comfortable all-day use.
- ROPER unisex patriot boots are available in various sizes like toddler, little kid, and big kid up to 12 years of age.
- Fit most users well.
- No breaking in period needed; no blisters, chafing for most users.
- Enough room to grow in to
- Well-made, durable
- Made for walking in mud and perfect for horseback riding
- Attractive colors
- A few users reported ripped soles and inner lining.
Best Cowboy Boots for Girls: Ariat Fatbaby Cowgirl Western Boot – Kids’ Leather Country Boots
ARIAT has been a trusted name in cowboy boots and horse-riding apparel for decades. Their products are made of high-quality material and craftmanship for both adults and kids alike.
These cowgirl boots also feature the brand’s popular 4LR technology, which offers stability and comfort for all-day use, like their adult boot series.
- Physical attributes – These gorgeous cowgirl boots are made with suede and have a sturdy rubber sole. They also feature the brand’s removable Booster Bed footbed that imparts flexibility which children need to run and play.
- Ariat Fatbaby girls cowboy boots are available in 4 bright and attractive feminine colors and 13 Little Kid sizes.
- Plenty of room to wiggle toes and grow into
- Perfect for girls with wide/flat feet
- Comfortable and durable
- Great color choices – fashionable and stylish
- Ideal for horseback riding – functional.
- Some Children’s Rodeo organizations have banned the Ariat Fatbaby series because their heels do not sit well in stirrups, and the rubberized soles are thick.
Best Unisex Cowboy Boots for Kids: Deer Stags Unisex Children Cowboy Boots
Your kid will be thrilled with these smart western riding boots with attractive embroidery. They come in three different shades. Please note that one of the colors has bright pink stitching accents, which may be better for girls but not for boys.
- Deer Stags Unisex western boots are made in the USA. They come with attractive stitching and embroidery and are made of easy-care materials. Its foam insole provides all-day comfort, and the pull-on straps make it easy to wear and remove.
- As mentioned before, the brand makes three different colors in this category, but one of them may be more suitable for girls. The boots are available in different sizes for kids aged 4 to 12 years.
- Durable and sturdy – ideal for horse camp, riding lessons, or simply for a stylish addition to a kid’s wardrobe.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Easy to break in.
- Compared to other brands, sizing issues.
Best Cowboy Boots for Toddlers: Canyon Trails Kids Lil Cowboy Pointed Toe Classic Western Rodeo Boots
When selecting cowboy boots for a toddler, the main factor to consider is their ease of wearing and comfort. The last thing you’d want is to struggle with the boots while your toddler screams.
With the Canyon Trails Toddler cowboy boots, you won’t have to worry; their easy pull-on design will help you dress up your cutie without any hassles.
- Physical attributes – Canyon Trails cowboy boots come with the classic pointed toe design. Their shaft also features attractive embroidery. The boots are made with high-quality faux leather and rubber soles that last long. They feature pull-on tabs for easy on/off. Canyon Trails toddler cowboy boots come with comfortable cushioned footbeds.
- Available in three attractive colors and several toddler and kid sizes.
- Perfect size – fit most users well.
- Great for horseback riding, gifting, and Halloween/Christmas costumes
- Cute, stylish, as well as functional boots.
- A few users found them too stiff
- Not genuine leather – tends to scratch and loses color with time.
- Some boots had a strong smell.
Key Takeaways- Best Kids Cowboy Boots
Shopping for cowboy boots for kids can be time-consuming and overwhelming. Thankfully, there are many trustworthy brands like ARIAT, Roper, Deer Stag, Silver Canyon, Canyon Trails, and Old West Kids, etc.
These are reliable, affordable, and long-lasting, and they all have a great range of functional and stylish cowboy boots for girls, boys, and toddlers. You can also select boots based on your child’s specific riding/schooling needs.
How to help your child try on the cowboy boots?
Use the pull-on tabs and pull the boot on. They should be tight at first, but they loosen with wear for a comfortable fit. Ensure your child can wiggle their toes in the boots and they put both boots on and walk around the store before buying.
What material is best for kids’ cowboy boots?
Genuine leather is the best for kids’ feet because it’s durable, soft, and flexible. It also stretches better than other materials, which means that your kid can wear them longer before they outgrow their boots. But on the downside? Genuine leather cowboy boots are expensive.