Any links on this page that lead to products on Amazon are affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Thanks in advance – I really appreciate it!
My granddaughter is fascinated with barrel racing but loves all types of equestrian events. Recently, she noticed that dressage riders wear riding breeches instead of jeans when they’re out on their horses – so naturally, this piqued her interest in acquiring a pair for herself.
The best full-seat riding breeches are the Horze Tara full-seat breeches; these come with a silicone seat and high waist. For the best quality riding breeches, you can’t beat Vertigo’s Tiffany silicone full seat breeches, but expect to pay for these high-end pants.
Riding breeches are the most comfortable, best-looking pants to wear when horseback riding, but choosing the right pair can be challenging with so many styles on the market.
We’ve got seven amazing women’s riding breeches we review in this guide, some with full seats and high-waist, others with silicone cushioning for additional comfort. All are great for dressage as well as jumping or just about any equestrian event!
You might have heard of the term “breeches and cream.” It is a traditional English phrase used by equestrians to describe riding breeches because English breeches had to be cream-colored.
Today, you can find plenty of variety in riding breeches, and they come in different styles, colors, and materials. You can even get beautiful patterns like leopard, sport, or flowers. But there is a lot more to riding breeches than their color.
Riding breeches are specially designed pants that hug your legs. Horse riders usually wear these tight-fitting trousers because they’re comfortable and help prevent sliding in the saddle. The specially designed fit is not only comfortable but also works well with riding boots.
Those who enjoy the best possible experience when it comes to horseback riding know that it starts by wearing the proper clothing, and breeches are instrumental. There are many variations out there, some with built-in silicone or cushioning around both knees as well as full seat and waist heights for all types.
If you are looking for reliable horse riding breeches but are confused by the sheer variety available, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are our top picks:
Top Riding Breeches – With Reviews
1. Best High-Waist Full-Seat Breeches
Check out some of the awesome things people have to say about Horze Tara full-seat breeches:
Chemanie, a rider of over 40 years, says, “I have tried different breeches in my decades of riding experience, but HORZE is the best and most comfortable by far. Please make more of these!”
Tara from Texas describes Horze’s Tara full-seat breeches as the most comfortable and attractive breeches she has ever worn.
Hundreds of women equestrians are raving about Horze Tara’s full-seat and high-waist design, making them super-comfortable while riding.
Check out the complete list of their features:
Features and attributes
- Zip as well as a 4-button closure
- Extra high-waist flatters and flattens the tummy section
- Made with water and dirt resisting fabric; it is soft, comfy, and stretchy too.
- Comes with front and back pockets for optimum storage
- Available in 6 sizes and 2 attractive colors
- Great for schooling, especially dressage.
- Several size choices for women of different builds
- Zip and buttons provide secure closure and flattering/slimming silhouette
- High-waist design with internal support flattens and flatters shape and gives you a slimmer look
- Adequate pockets for storage
- Soft, comfortable, durable, stylish
- There have been a couple of size-related issues. However, the brand has provided a reliable fitting/size chart that women can use before ordering. The brand also recommends ordering one size down when in doubt since the fabric is stretchy.
How it compares
Horze Tara’s high-waist full-seat breeches are perfect for women who avoid wearing breeches because they are conscious of their belly fat. Worry not: these breeches hide things you don’t want seen and flatter areas you want!
Its material is soft, stretchy, quick-to-dry, cool, breathable, comfortable, and perfect for riding all year round. The pockets in the back and front are great for storing horse treats, keys, etc.
Horze Tara full-seat breeches are also attractively priced and are an absolute bargain when you consider their quality. The only knock I have about these breeches is that they don’t come in many colors, but the ones available are great too.
#2. Most Comfortable High-End Breeches
Want style, comfort, and function in your breeches to wear at a horse show? Then you will love these high-end breeches from B-Vertigo. They combine the classic elegance of traditional breeches with modern technological innovations to give you the ultimate riding/showing breeches that marry style with comfort.
Features and attributes
- Made with exceptionally soft, 4-way stretchy Opti-pro fabric for all-day comfort
- Moisture-wicking, quick-dry, perfect for summers but all-year-round comfort as well
- Form flattering
- High-waist design
- Full-seat silicone grip seat control for schooling and competitive riding.
- Available in 7 sizes and 5 attractive colors
- Breathable and very comfortable for summers and all-day wearing
- Long-lasting and durable
- Versatile – perfect for pleasure riding, shows, schooling, and competitions
- Value for money
- High price but totally worth it.
How they compare
These gorgeous Tiffany breeches from B Vertigo promise style, comfort, and function. Without deviating from the classic style, the brand uses technology in the form of Opti-Pro fabric and silicone to give you a highly breathable pair of breeches guaranteed to keep you cool and sweat-free all day.
These high-end breeches are ideal for various disciplines, so you won’t regret your choice. They are also durable and retain their shape after washing. Their price may be on the higher side, but they are worth the money given their spectacular benefits and features.
#3. Best Sporty Mid-Rise
Our next entry is also from HORZE!
We equestrians love the HORZE brand for a reason – it delivers style, comfort, and function. So, the Horze Nordic riding sporty breeches certainly won’t disappoint! They are the go-to choice if you’re looking for breeches for competing.
HORZE Nordic full-seat breeches feature super-comfortable, lightweight, and stretchy Spandex mixed with a sturdy nylon. This means that you get long-lasting durability, stretchy comfort, and a quick-drying moisture-wicking light pair of breeches that will keep you cool, dry, and comfortable during shows/schooling. Did we mention: they also have UV protection properties?
Features and attributes
- Made with Spandex + nylon and silicone full-grip seat. Elastene imparts stretchability.
- UV-protection up to SPF 50+
- Figure-hugging, form-flattering, mid-waist rise
- Elastic legs to fit inside riding boots/cowboy boots
- Features equestrian phrases on the back and the HORZE logo
- Available in 6 sizes and 4 color choices.
- Cool and comfortable
- Great for sports
- UV protection
- True to size
- Affordable riding breeches
- Color could be slightly different than the one depicted on the screen.
How they compare
HORZE Nordic women’s riding breeches are stretchy, comfortable, and cool. They are ideal for sports since they have UV protection. Their cool fabric is moisture-wicking and breathable. Horze Nordic breeches are also stylish, feature a mid-waist, and stretch in all the right places. Their price is also attractive.
#4. Best Budget
Trust HORZE to come up with products for every budget. If you are looking for high-quality yet affordable breeches for schooling, then go for HORZE EVA. This stunning pair of breeches feature many great attributes that will give you a sophisticated and stylish look.
- The EVA comes with a zipper and button closure for security and a flattering effect. It contains 68% rayon, 5% elastane, and 27% polyamide for stretchability, moisture-wicking, and breathability.
- HORZE EVA high-waisted breeches have silicone seats for firm gripping and elastic legs for tucking inside boots and flattering your legs
- Available in 6 sizes and 3 gorgeous colors
- Pockets for storage.
- Cute little pendant under the belt loops for extra style.
- High-waist, great fit, figure-flattering silhouette
- Attractive price
- The silicone tends to sag after washing. Hand-wash/dry clean for durability.
How they compare
HORZE EVA riding breeches for women are the best for those on a budget. The material is excellent, and the high-rise style is super comfortable. You also get three gorgeous colors, not to mention that you can trust HORZE products blindly. All-in-all, this is a great pair of riding breeches for all-day comfort.
#5. Best White Breeches
Some disciplines like formal dressage need white or light-colored breeches. If you are looking for full-seat breeches in white, then you’ll love Horze’s Angelina Silicone full-seat white breeches.
- Horze Angeline women’s full-seat breeches are made with dust-resistant fabric.
- They are also machine-washable – so you can retain that crips white color with ease
- These breeches feature an extra-high, shaped waist that flattens the tummy region. Also, they have inner seams to give you a slim look.
- Front zipper pockets are great for storing keys, etc.
- Available in eight sizes
- Stylish and functional
- Easy to wash, quick to dry
- Grip the saddle perfectly
- Ideal for warm-weather riding.
- Run bigger than most breeches. Order one size down.
How they compare
A few users reported that the silicone used in Horze Angeline breeches wasn’t adequate. However, most women loved it. The white breeches are perfect for dressage. The fact that they wash and dry well is a great feature as well. The price is attractive too!
#6. Best Winter Breeches with Knee Patches
You can have a horrid winter or a happy one – all based on your riding breeches! Why sacrifice comfort and style when you can get both? Horze Active Women’s breeches will keep you warm and dry in the saddle, and they also feature knee patches for extra grip, durability, stretchiness, and comfort. Horze also has a full-seat version in these breeches – check them out here.
- Soft fleece lining
- Mid-rise waist
- 4-way stretchy fabric for extra comfort in the saddle and on the ground.
- Available in 6 sizes and 2 colors.
- Warm, soft, quick-dry
- Great grip
- Run small. Some women found the leg length short.
How they compare
Horze Active women’s winter breeches are well-made, soft, and comfortable. They are perfect for wet-and-cold-weather riding and ideal for working in the barn too. The material used is soft, stretchy, quick-drying, and breathable. It comes in attractive color as well. The price is super affordable.
#7. Best Full-Seat High-End Winter Riding Breeches
You will soon make these Grand Prix Thermo riding breeches from Horze your go-to winter attire for working in the barn or sitting in the saddle.
They feature a soft, dry, and warm thermo softshell, which prevents the biting cold wind from hurting your skin. The full seat with silicone material also provides a superior grip and makes it easy to get on and off the horse.
- Available in 7 sizes
- Suitable for winter riding thanks to ultra-soft fleece lining.
- Full-seat with silicone grip
- Pockets for storage
- Ideal for dressage or trail riding
- Medium-rise waist with a wide waistband
- Dirt and water repelling softshell fabric
- True to size, well-made, very warm
- Easy to clean
- Calves/ankles are loose so tucking into chaps or riding boots is tedious.
How they compare
Most riders loved these super warm dressage tights from HORZE – they are incredibly well-made, super-comfy, and designed to keep you warm. The lack of color choices is a downside, but we can work with it. Their price is reasonable as the high-quality materials give you complete value for money.
When do you need full seat riding breeches?
Full-seat riding breeches are made with unique materials and reinforcements, typically silicone, which enable the rider to get a more stable seat and provide them with a firmer grip in the saddle. They also have a slight ‘sticky’ texture that extends from the inner thigh to the back of the knees providing a more secure and firm grip while riding.
Many events like dressage require riders to wear full-seat breeches. However, for western-style equestrian events, traditional riding jeans are the popular choice.
Why high waist breeches are good for riding?
High-waist breeches provide stability and back support to riders. They also offer greater comfort mixed with style. The high-waist helps balance the core and hides tummy fat or belly bulges. Also, they sit up higher, making it easier to keep your shirt tucked in so you can focus on riding without worrying about your shirt coming untucked.
High waist breeches elongate the torso and flatter every body shape. This is especially beneficial to female equestrians who do not like wearing form-fitting or figure-hugging riding clothing if they are conscious of their body shape.
Riding breeches are specially designed with horse riding in mind. They bring very little fabric between you and your horse so you can communicate better with your animal.
Whether you need riding breeches for events, dressage, clinic, or trail riding, we are sure you will find an excellent pair for it.
We recommend Horze and B-Vertigo breeches – both these brands make excellent full-seat, high or mid-waist breeches that combine style, comfort, and function. Both brands also have great breeches for summer and winter riding.
They use high-quality materials and have fantastic features like extra pockets, zip and button closures, breathability, moisture-wicking, etc. I expect you will find a pair that fits your needs, but if you don’t, you may want to check out some riding tights or leggings.