Any links on this page that lead to products on Amazon are affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Thanks in advance – I really appreciate it!
My son has the unfortunate luck of having flat feet, but he still loves wearing western cowboy boots. His work requires him to be on the go all day, and because of this, he pays special attention to the comfort of his footwear. And when it comes to cowboy boots, he quickly learned that many are not suitable for flat feet.
Ariat makes the best cowboy boots for people with flat feet. Ariats’ founders focus on comfort, and they hit their mark with the Ariat Heritage Roper Wide Square Toe Western Boots, Ariat Men’s Sport Rider Wide Square-Toe Western Cowboy Boot.
You may think that you can’t wear cowboy boots if your feet are flat, but I beg to differ. There are many boot makers focused on designing their boots for comfort and common foot problems like high arches or plantar fasciitis- yes, even flatfeet.
In this article, I cover the following topics:
- Can flat-footed people wear cowboy boots?
- How to select cowboy boots for flat feet?
- Why cowboy boots are good for people that have flat feet?
- 10 Most comfortable western cowboy boots for flat feet for men and women
- And more…
Flat-feet and cowboy boots
Flat feet are caused by overpronation wherein the arch of the foot collapses to the inside when you put pressure on it. As the arch drops, your foot elongates and distorts in the front, causing you to ‘think’ that you have wider feet.
The result: flat-footed people often end up buying wider footwear because their feet are ‘lying’ about the size. This can result in foot pain, performance issues in riders, and many other problems.
Can flat-footed people wear cowboy boots?
People with flat feet can wear cowboy boots. In fact, many manufacturers are specially designing western cowboy boots for people with flat feet. And that is the topic of this guide.
Cowboy boots for people with flat feet need to be wide-fitting to counter the extra pressure that causes discomfort. A narrow vamp will squeeze toes at either end (heels & toe box), making your foot slant inward, leading to fallen arches/pronation and other painful conditions such as plantar fasciitis.
Extra room in a boot can help prevent pain, and it is crucial for those who wear boots all day long, like ranchers and construction workers.
How to Select Cowboy Boots for Flat Feet.
According to Medical News Today, look for the following features when selecting footwear for flat feet:
#1. Wide toe
Avoid boots having pointed or narrow toes. Flat-footed people need boots with a wider toe box area. If you select a boot having a pointed or narrow toe box, the chances are that your feet will feel boxed in or squashed in. On the other hand, a boot with a square, round, wider toe box will allow your feet to spread out comfortably.
#2. Adequate support
The second factor to look for in western cowboy boots for flat feet is support. Your boots should compensate for the overpronation that causes your flat foot to roll inward.
Look for cowboy boots with arch support that cushions the feet, allows greater flexibility, and distributes the weight evenly by supporting the entire foot.
#3. Softer material
Avoid rigid and inflexible boots. Instead, look for ones made with soft, pliable leather that allow your feet to move comfortably, breathe, and expand. This is especially needed if you have arch support in the boots. Arch support combined with rigid boots could cause pain on the top area of your wide or flat feet. Instead, look for flexible and cushioning boots.
Some Cowboy Boots Are Good for People With Flat Feet.
#1. Complete protection
The structure and design of cowboy boots protect the entire leg and feet from environmental hazards. Well-made boots also provide arch support and cushioning to people with wide, flat feet and bunions. This makes them an excellent choice as work boots.
#2. Modern technology combined with traditional wisdom
Top brands like ARIAT are well-known for their cowboy boots use unique patented technologies like 4LR. This consists of 4-layer rebound cushioning, which protects the feet from impacts while riding and offers stability for all-day use. This combination of modern technology and age-old wisdom that is characteristic of cowboy boots makes them the perfect footwear in all aspects.
#3. Great for riding
Equestrians with flat feet find the cushioning and support of cowboy boots especially beneficial. Moreover, the boots’ heels also keep them in the stirrups and prevent falls. The soft leather of high-quality cowboy boots allows greater flexibility for expansion and prevents pressure on the upper part of the feet.
Also Read: Are Cowboy Boots Good for You?
Most Comfortable Cowboy Boots for Men With Flat Feet
#1. Winner: Ariat Heritage Roper Wide Square Toe Western Boots
Men’s Traditional Leather Country Boot
Americans love the ARIAT brand for a reason: their ATS technology provides optimum comfort and stability for the hard-working man.
These Heritage Ropers’ are specially designed for men with wider feet, which means they’re perfect if you have flat feet. If you don’t like the look of square-toed boots, they also make the Heritage Ropers in a round toe.
These boots’ broad square toe design ensures you can wear them all day without experiencing foot fatigue. Ariat’s craftsmanship, innovation, and attention to detail paid off for people with flat feet who like to wear cowboy boots.
- Made with 100% leather and Duratread sole
- Classic western styling
- 90-degree heel prevents slips and falls
- ASTM rated safety boot
- Average weight – not very heavy
- EVA midsole for comfort
- True to size
- Perfect wide toe for flat-footed people
- Some users found the heel large, clunky, and chunky – however, riders will love that as it fits the stirrups well.
#2. Best Overall: Ariat Men’s Sport Rider Wide Square-Toe Western Cowboy Boot
Our next entry is also from ARIAT – this one is a wider square toe offering with a boot opening of 13.25-inches around. It also has other western boot features like embroidery, and the cutouts on the upper shaft keep things nice and breathable.
- Made with 100% full-grain leather
- The unlined 11-inch shaft is flexible and has holes for style and breathability
- 4-layer rebound technology (4LR) – the patented offering from ARIAT for cushioning and stability
- Heavy-duty Duratread outsole
- Moisture-wicking footbed
- Wide toe
- Excellent arch support
- Size issues – some users found them too big.
#3. Best Budget Buy: Western Shops Men’s Genuine Cowhide Leather Quill Ostrich Print Western Cowboy Square Toe Rodeo Boots
If you’re looking for cowboy boots with the look of exotic skin without breaking the bank, then these boots are for you. They are made from genuine leather with an ostrich quill print.
These fashionable, quality boots are stylish and have a wide-toe box that is perfect for flat-footed people, and the price tag makes them even more worth it.
- Made using 100% genuine cowhide leather
- Rodeo S-toe profile ideal for wider/flat feet
- 1.5-inch heel, 11.5-inch boot shaft
- Pull-tabs for easy on/off
- Available in several sizes and 3 colors
- Nice fit and style
- Attractive Ostrich quill print
- High-quality, durable materials
- They run larger than regular boots. Order ½ a size down.
#4. Best Arch Support: Justin Original Work Boots Men’s Stampede Pull-On Square Toe Work Boot
I’ve always been a fan of Justin boots; they make one of the best pairs of roper boots for horseback riding you can find on the market. The Justin boot company is one of the oldest in the U.S., and their boots are usually made of high-quality material and are exceptionally comfortable.
The Justin Original Work boots live up to this tradition. Men with foot pain and fallen arches need better arch support, especially if they have to stand all day for work. Justin Original Work Boots with a square toe and the patented J-flex system fit the bill perfectly.
- Made with 100% leather with sturdy rubber sole
- 1.25-inch heel
- Removable insole
- Wide toe box
- True to width
- Excellent arch support
- The leather caused some soreness and irritation for a few users. A thick pair of socks can prevent this.
#5. Best Individually Crafted – Savvy Square Toe Men’s Cowboy Western Boots in Genuine Leather by GadwallAR
Handcrafted items have always been more expensive to produce than their mass-produced counterparts, but the GadwallAR is a handbuilt product and is still affordable.
GadwallAR boots are individually handcrafted in a classical Mexican boot factory for the adventurous and fashionable. Made with 100% leather, these gorgeous, high-quality boots boast 10-inch shafts to ensure you have enough room for your feet without sacrificing comfort. Their detailed contrast stitching will make them stand out from other cowboy boots.
- Wide toe and excellent arch support with cushioning perfect for people with flat feet.
- Not true to size – runs 1 size wider and larger than tennis shoes.
Most Comfortable Cowboy Boots for Women with Flat Feet
#1. Winner: Charles Albert Women’s Modern Western Cowboy Distressed Boot with Pull-Up Tabs
The Charles Albert boots are comfortable fashion cowboy boots, don’t confuse them for working or riding boots. They come in at a great price and are suitable for women with flat feet.
These boots fit the bill because not only do they come with an extra-wide toe box for those suffering from flat feet, but they also provide support throughout your entire heel, which helps prevent any pain when walking.
Charles Albert boots have proven to be a comfortable and durable option for women with foot problems. Some have even worn them post foot surgery without experiencing any pain or discomfort.
- Round almond toe design
- 0.25-inch platform, 2.5-inch heel, and a shaft that is about 8-inch from the arch
- Made with high-quality synthetic leather
- Pull-on tabs for easy on/off
- Comfortable lining for cushioning and support
- Available in 6 sizes and 8 attractive colors
- Excellent arch support
- Some users had to buy a size up for greater comfort in the toe box area.
#2. Best Budget Buy: Women’s Western Cowboy Boots: ARIAT Fatbaby
ARIAT Fatbaby series is immensely popular with the ladies. The brand combines technological innovation with traditional elements to give you authentic western footwear for every attire.
ARIAT Fatbaby has a wide toe box area and is perfect for women with fallen arches. They are also versatile enough to wear with a skirt or work around the barn. The width of the boot may be challenging to get in and out of small stirrups.
- 100% genuine leather
- Duratread sole
- 4LR technology (explained earlier)
- 13-inch round, wide opening for easy on/off
- Available in 19 colors and several sizes
- True to size
- Water resistant
- Some women found the instep too narrow.
- Also, the boots need a breaking-in period. You can use mink oil conditioner to stretch them a bit.
#3. Best Overall: Justin Boots Women’s Gypsy Collection Western Boot
Justin Gypsy western cowboy boots are stylish, versatile, and rider-friendly. They’re also made by a company you can trust to deliver high-quality boots.
The Gypsy western cowboy is perfect if you are looking for comfortable boots while out on the town or just want some casual wear in general during any given day. They are a little pricey but worth the money.
- Made with distressed brown leather
- 8-inch shaft
- Justin Boots patented Gypsy riding boot rubber outsole
- 13-inch shaft circumference for easy on/off
- Non steel toe
- Lightweight; ideal for day long wearing
- Wider toe box area – perfect for women with painful bunions or those needing arch support
- Sizing issues; mostly run small.
#4. Most Comfortable: Durango Women’s Lady Rebel Faux Gator Western Boot Square Toe
The Durango brand has really come a long way when it comes to making comfortable boots. The best example of this is the Lady Rebel Square Toe boot, which you can find in many different color options and styles.
The Durango Lady Rebel Square Toe boots are an excellent choice for women with flat feet who need some extra arch support and cushioning. The lightweight design makes them perfect to wear all day, while their many features make them one of the best styles in this company’s lineup.
- Full-grain leather construction
- Pull up tabs for easy on/off
- Cushioned flex insole
- Ventilated and breathable
- Lightweight, flexible midsole
- Slip-resistant sturdy rubber outsole
- Stylish, cushiony, lightweight
- High-quality materials
- A bit stiff in the beginning.
#5. Best Western Cowboy Work Boots for Women with Flat Feet: Ariat Delilah Round Toe Western Boots – Women’s Mid-Calf Leather Boot
The ARIAT Delilah boots are rugged and reliable. They will protect your feet from harsh working conditions while also preventing the pain experienced by women having wide, flat feet when wearing regular work shoes or boots.
- ARIAT Delilah boots feature the rband’s patented 4LR technology. This is the four layer rebound technology that keeps your feet cushioned and comfortable.
- Round toe, mid-calf
- Western inspired design
- Duratread Outsole
- Wide calf opening for easy on/off
- Excellent arch support
- True to size
- Great for riding and daily ranch work
- A few users complained that the right and left boots had different sizes.
Final Recommendations – Most Comfortable Western Cowboy Boots for Flat Feet
If you have flat feet, you can still enjoy a pair of well-made western cowboy boots. In fact, western cowboy boots can prevent foot pain and provide extra cushionign and support needed when working on the ranch.
Today, there are many top brands that make comfortable western cowboy boots for people with painful foot problems. You can opt for brands like ARIAT, DURANGO, or Justin Boots – they are affordable, well-made, highly-rated, and popular brands. They also use high-quality materials and combine technology with innovative designs.
We hope this guide helps you find a comfortable pair of cowboy boots for your needs.